Friday, August 2, 2019

New Arkham Horror Final Hour Announcement

Up to this point, I haven't done much talking about other board games (unless it is a war game) here on my blog. However, when it comes to decent Cthulhu Mythos based games, I have to make an exception.

The trailer for the new Arkham game from FFG just hit the internet yesterday, and I have to say--it looks promising. I'm particularly interested in the short set up and short playtime. I also LOVE the setting of Miskatonic U. They were always my favorite faction back in Call of Cthulhu LCG. In any case, it feels impossible to get people to play full-fledged Arkham most of the time due to its heavy set up and time commitment. So something in that vein seems just right. Some might argue we already have a "short Arkham" with Elder Sign. While I do love Elder Sign, it does seem pretty light on story and theme. It mostly just feels like a dice game (what it is) which is fine. I used to try and get people to read the flavor text on all the cards, but no one is willing to do it. But if I want something that has more story and mystery to it, Final Hour might fit.

Another note I had was on people's response to this announcement. A lot of folks seem upset that there is another Arkham game. Everyone seems to moan and complain about the fact that there are "too many" games in the series, but I don't agree. Arkham does have a lot of games but doesn't come close to some of the others from FFG or other game companies. For instance, if I have to see one more announcement about a Star Wars game, I'm going to hurl. Not to mention, how many stupid fantasy games get announced and released every year? Come on, developers. Enough of the fantasy settings. Give me a decent and immersive Cyberpunk game or something. What about an anime-themed one?

No comments:

Post a Comment